Friday 3 June 2011

Just six months? It's been an eternity.

What happenin' guys? A lot more than a lack of posts for 6 months can say, to be honest. Well, Year 12 is done and dusted, at least for the moment. But like a Cocchafer beetle that flies into your computer room at about 10 o'clock at night because you forgot to close up the windows that proceeds to ram its massive body against the lamp just above your head, you just know it's not going to end with a single battle of turning the lights off and trying to direct it out of the window by shining a torch on it (WHICH DOESN'T WORK ANYWAY). It comes back again and again, just when you thought it had given up and left you alone for good (the blasted thing even faked its own death once, devious little massive scoundrel).

I've wanted to keep this under wraps so that people don't strike me down with evil leers of pure envy, but my exams were over within a week of Study Leave. I don't want to admit that. I'm sure there are a ton of people I know who deserve that kind of karma. Even now, exams are still going on as far as I'm concerned. Well, I've already posted about the logical trainwreck of having to take written exams in a previous post, which you may peruse later at your own leisure. So now I guess is the point where I talk about all the things I have been spending my time with and enjoying to a sickening degree over the past two and a half weeks without having to worry about school, such as my obsession with StarCraft II resurfacing full force after I discover that I can download maps easily and play with other people online. Fear not, I have been suffering a tad to even the score.

So, I've had this problem lately. One morning I'll wake up and discover that a random patch on my torso feels like it's been bitten by some demonic thing with massive teeth, as it seems to be overreacting to anything touching it like an insane hermit in a bustling city and my nerves in that patch think they are constantly on fire every sodding moment something is in contact with it, like my t-shirt rubbing against it, or particles of air. When I get a brief shiver from a cold breeze or standing in the conservatory which is slightly colder than my computer room, it's very much the same. So, what is the source of this mild day-to-day agony?

Doctor says it's enflamed nerves. It crept up first in January around where my appendix was which was worrying. It hung about subjecting me to tolerable but grating agony for about two weeks. Thankfully I had a big Kinetic Theatre production to think about and that helped take my mind off it. As long as I was deeply involved in something I would forget about the pain. However, it has returned for the third time this year one Monday morning probably a week after study leave (probably the price I pay for having exams finished early). I was given painkillers for it but it doesn't do much good to ease the pain and it goes away on its own eventually, so they're pretty useless in the long run. I wanted this biological buffoonery to stop once and for all and asked for another appointment, hoping to gain something more than just painkillers. I did some brief research beforehand and whatever the cause, it didn't look good. The most likely cause is apparently some arse of a virus that decides to mess your systems up for no reason. However, my dad suggested it was because my computer desk (at which I spend about 8 hours of the day at the least) is quite low, and the compelling experience of Stacraft II or Bioshock is such that he finds me doubled over my desk, as I'm trying to get myself as immersed in the intensity as possible by having my face right up to the screen. The doctor confirmed this as the likeliest cause. So, I'm so obsessed with my computer that my body develops an insufferable illness to give me the message? Well, I think I'm definitely due for a change of habit now. The doctor said I should spend a week off the computer. Yeah no problem Doc, I spend about a week off the computer... over the course of a year. Hum. I think taking baby steps at a time is in order here.

My enflamed nerves have not been troubling me for a while now in fact. Since it's been two and a half weeks they're bound to be on the way out by now, but I have been spending an hour or two every day or so off the computer. So, where have I been going where the delights of Blizzard, 2K Games or Valve are not there? My friends, I have recently taken a shine... to gardening.

YES. GARDENING, BITCH.

Seriously, I'm a perfectionist at heart, and so there's nothing better for me to do than to cut away the overgrowth that's accumulated in our massive garden over the past five years. There's plenty to go around with the size of my house. And I'll be up for anything if I get a massive pair of clippers to dismember plants with, or better yet, the hedge trimmer - a device not much short of a freakin' chainsaw.

So to summarize, gardening is a great cure for enflamed nerves brought on from Repetitive Strain Injury. Who knew?

Tune in next post, when I sort out that damned evil Fridge that I've been meaning to finish off for about two or three posts. Hopefully my partial days in school starting from the 6th won't take too great a toll on my blog-writing. But what I can say is: There will be a bus. So, until next time... stay frosty. Wait, it's summer. Damn, that doesn't work. Oh well.




SUMMER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment